As the world grinded to a halt amid the attempt to stop the spread of Covid-19, the fitness industry was hit particularly hard. People suddenly found themselves without their group classes, weight rooms and more. Meanwhile, fitness professionals scrambled to get solutions and online fitness classes in place to service clients; we became overnight experts in Zoom and leading clients virtually.
Online fitness classes are popping up all over, but is this more long-term than we think? Even once gyms reopen – and other businesses reopen, for that matter – how ready are we going to be to rush back to our former life? We’re going to carry the effects of this for a long time, and I have a feeling Covid-19 will have a lasting effect on the fitness industry.
And maybe that’s not a bad thing? People are discovering that if they workout from home, they gain at least an hour back in their day that was previously spent driving to and from the gym. They don’t have to vie for a spot in a crowded group fitness class. People can try all sorts of new fitness formats that maybe they’d been hesitant to try for fear of looking silly.
If people do a live-streaming online fitness class, it gives more of a sense of accountability than they’ll find with just pre-recorded class videos. Perhaps it’s a win-win?
As you search for online fitness classes that fit your needs, consider the following:
- Fee structure: Will you pay a flat rate or a per-class rate? What’s included in the flat rate? Are there any hidden fees?
- Contract: You should be able to find a solution that gives you the flexibility of no contract. Keep looking if they try to lock you in long-term.
- Class variety: If the schedule is just 10 variations of Barre, is that really what you want? A good variety will keep you much more engaged, plus cross-training is great for improving fitness.
- Instructor who knows safety: If you’re not a fitness professional, you may miss some of the atrocious form you’ll find in YouTube fitness videos, but it’s more common than not. Ask about the instructor’s certification and make sure s/he is legit.
- A caring instructor: Are you just a bank payment withdrawal or does the instructor know your name, reach out and offer assistance, etc? This really matters.
I’m sure you’ll find the right online fitness classes for you and your style. After all, we may be here a while!