Servings: 4 servings
For the hot cereal:
- 1 tbsp organic coconut oil
- 1 large apple, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup raisins or chopped dates
- 1/8-1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1.5 tsp cinnamon
- dash nutmeg
- 3 tbsp unsweetened coconut finely shredded
- 1 cup chopped raw nuts walnuts, cashews, pecans or a combination (I used cashews and walnuts)
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk or canned light coconut milk
Toppings to serve with:
- 1-2 bananas sliced
- unsweetened almond butter or coconut butter
- Additional almond milk
Heat a large saucepan over med low heat and add the coconut oil until melted.
Add the apples and nuts, sprinkle with salt, stir, and cook for about 1 minute until apples begin to soften and nuts begin to brown
Lower the heat to low and add the almond milk, shredded coconut, raisins and cinnamon.
Stir, raise the heat and bring to a boil. Allow to boil while stirring for a minute, then lower to a simmer, cover, and cook another 2-5 minutes* until the apples are soft and some liquid is absorbed.
Nuts will soften but will still have a crunch
Serve hot with toppings like sliced banana, more almond milk and coconut butter or your favorite nut butter.
You can also make the hot cereal ahead of time, store covered in the refrigerator (without toppings), heat prior to serving and then add toppings. Enjoy!
Original recipe credit: https://www.paleorunningmomma.com/apple-cinnamon-paleo-hot-cereal-whole30/